- 2 ¼ cups (560 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground cloves
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) of salt
- ¾ cup (175 ml) butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 ml) white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) water (or orange juice)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) molasses
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a greased baking sheet.
In a large mixing bowl beat butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the egg and beat until smooth.
Stir in the water (or orange juice) and the molasses.
In a separate bowl; mix the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
Shape the dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
Place the cookies on the cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a fork.
Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
Let them cool before transferring to a wire rack.
Makes 24 cookies.