- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½cups (375 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons (7.5 mL) baking soda
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons (7.5 mL) pure vanilla extract
For the chocolate glaze
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 ½ tablespoons (22 mL) corn syrup or agave nectar
- ½ cup (125 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (15-30 mL) granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly coat a Bundt pan with butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt, and water and place over medium heat. Stir the ingredients until melted and combined. Remove from the heat.
- Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula or electric mixer, just until moist.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Beat in sour cream and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the Bundt pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before transferring onto a rack.
- To make the glaze, combine the heavy cream and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate and corn syrup (or agave).
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake. Cut and serve.
Yield: One cake
Canada Agriculture and Food Museum