- 1 ¾ cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup (175 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned lentils, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup (125 mL) oil (canola or sunflower)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) instant coffee
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a bowl of a food processor, pulse lentils, oil, and eggs until well blended; add milk, vanilla, and instant coffee and pulse until smooth.
Add to dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
Divide batter among paper-lined muffin tins, filling them about ¾ full.
Bake for 25 minutes in a 350°F (175°C) oven until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Cool completely before frosting with your choice of frosting.