These fluffy cookies make a great snack with a secret ingredient inside – chickpeas for a touch of extra protein!
- 1 19-oz (540 mL) can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- and mashed
- ½ cup (125 mL) canola oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
Using a food processor, mash the rinsed chickpeas to a puree consistency.
In a large bowl, whisk the canola oil, brown sugar, and maple syrup together until smooth.
Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla extract; blend until smooth.
Add the mashed chickpeas.
In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Fold gently, until the flour disappears.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Drop by tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheets.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden brown.
Yield: approximately 28 cookies