- 1 pkg or 1 tbsp (15 ml) yeast
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) warm water
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) skim milk powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) shortening
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 ½ cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
In a large bowl, add yeast and maple syrup to the warm water and let stand for 5 minutes.
When yeast mixture is frothy, add shortening, skim milk powder and salt.
Add flour, one cup at a time until blended.
Turn out onto floured board.
Knead until it feels just right (about 10 minutes).
Put back in bowl; let it rise in warm place.
When doubled (1 hour or so), punch down and form into a loaf.
Place in a loaf pan.
Cover with cloth and let rise for 45 minutes or so.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F (175°C) in regular oven, a bit less in a convection oven.
- ¾ cup (190 ml) icing sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) melted butter
- 1/3 tsp (1.5 ml) lemon juice
Mix icing ingredients in a small bowl.
While the baked loaf is still warm, spread icing on it.
Let cool before slicing.
Yield: 1 loaf