Collection Storage Facility
The Massey-Harris “No. 2” tractor was a Canadian-built version of the Parrett 12-25 tractor. The Parrett tractor was, for its time, a lightweight machine distinguished by its large wheels, high-clearance, and sideways-mounted radiator. It offered farmers with small and medium-sized operations a cheaper alternative to large, expensive steam-traction engines. Massey-Harris signed a deal to build Parrett-designed tractors in Canada after the company’s failure with selling American-built Bull tractors. Massey-Harris labelled the Parrett designs as the No. 1 and No. 2 tractors. A modified design, the No. 3, was produced in 1921. The Massey-Harris No. 2 tractor was built at its factory in Weston, then just outside of Toronto. At the time, Massey-Harris was the biggest manufacturer of agricultural machinery in the British Empire. The Parrett Tractor Company was headquartered in Chicago, Illinois.