Massey-Harris “No. 14” Combine Harvester

Massey-Harris “No. 14” Combine Harvester

Current Location:

Collection Storage Facility

Provenance:

Purchase

Technical History:

The combine harvester, also known earlier as the reaper-thresher, combines in one machine all the operations associated with cereal-grain harvesting: reaping, threshing, and winnowing. First conceived in the late nineteenth century, combine harvesters were more widely produced in the twentieth century as grain farming expanded, particularly in western North America. Combine harvesters came in towed and self-propelled models, with self-propelled models dominating production after the 1940s.

First manufactured in 1933, the “No. 14” was a large pull-type combine equipped with an auxiliary motor that powered the machine’s threshing operation. The onset of the Depression created demand for smaller and more affordable machines, which led Massey-Harris to produce the “Clipper” (see artifact no. 1977.0003).

History:

Massey-Harris was founded in Brantford, Ontario, in 1891, the result of the merger of the Massey Manufacturing Co. and A. Harris, Son & Co. Massey-Harris became a globally important manufacturer of agricultural implements.

CAFM
Canada Agriculture and Food Museum
Artifact No.
1976.0338
Manufacturer
Massey-Harris Co. Ltd
Manufacturer Location
Brantford, Ontario
Manufacture Date
1933
Acquisition Date
1976