This homemade lemonade is refreshingly delicious…and a vibrant shade of pink! It’s the perfect balance of sweet and tart served on a warm summer day.
- 6 cups (48 fl oz) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen
- Juice of one lemon
- In a large saucepan, combine the water and sugar together and bring to a boil.
- Add the chopped rhubarb and continue to boil for 5 minutes until the rhubarb begins to soften.
- Meanwhile, put the chopped strawberries into a blender and add the juice of one lemon. Blend until fully pureed.
- Add the pureed strawberries and lemon juice to the saucepan and stir for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly and carefully pour the liquid in a fine mesh strainer into a heat safe bowl.
- Using a potato masher or the back of a spoon, press down on the rhubarb and strawberry puree releasing more of the liquid.
- Transfer the lemonade to a pitcher and refrigerate until ready to drink.
- Serve the lemonade over ice. Garnish with a lemon slice and strawberry if desired. For extra fizz, add a little sparking water or ginger ale to the lemonade.
Canada Agriculture and Food Museum
- View all programs at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum