This ruby-red cranberry sauce is bursting with sweet and tangy flavour…perfect for the holiday season!
- 1 bag (600 g) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) orange juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch of salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, water, orange juice, sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon stick, and a pinch of salt.
- Stir the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The cranberries will pop and the sauce will begin to thicken.
- Remove from heat. Allow the sauce thicken for about five minutes.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and transfer the sauce to a serving bowl.
- If not serving right away, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Store sauce in an air-tight container in the fridge for one to two weeks, or freeze for up to three months.
Try this: A great side dish for the holidays, this sauce is also delicious served over your favourite yogurt and granola. Alternatively, it can be made into a festive spread by combining it with cream cheese…or added into a festive cocktail!
- View all programs at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum