Perfect for a party, these soft pretzel bites are easy to make. Served with our delicious honey mustard sauce, they’re sure to be a crowd pleaser!
For the dough:
- 2 ¼ cups (560 mL) all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 2 ¼ tsp (11 mL) instant yeast or 1 package
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) warm water
- Topping: Sea salt or coarse salt
For the baking soda bath:
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- ¼ cup (60 mL) baking soda
- In a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, mix the flour, salt, yeast, and sugar together.
- Slowly add the warm water and continue to mix for a few minutes, until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough should be soft and not too sticky.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for two to three minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled medium-sized bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let it rest and rise in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
- The next step is to prepare the baking soda and water bath. Combine the water and baking soda into a small pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- After 15 minutes of rising time, divide the dough into four sections using a dough scraper, pizza cutter, or knife.
- Roll each section into four 15-inch ropes. Cut the ropes into about 14 pieces each.
- Place six to eight pieces of pretzels in the baking soda bath for just 10 to 12 seconds at most. Using a slotted spatula, remove the pretzel bites, allowing the excess liquid to drip off. Place the pretzel bites on the prepared baking sheets, ensuring they are a few inches apart.
- While the pretzel bites are still wet from the baking soda bath, sprinkle them lightly with sea salt.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven. Bake the pretzel bites for six to seven minutes, or until the tops are a light golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy with your favourite dipping sauce, or with our Honey Mustard Sauce!
Please note: These pretzel bites are best served the day they are made. However, they can be kept in an airtight container for up to three days and reheated in the microwave for a few seconds.
Makes approximately 56 pretzel bites.