Also known as Mexican or Italian Wedding Cookies, Russian Teacakes, or Pecan Balls, these snowball cookies are a holiday classic. Just like a snowflake, they will melt in your mouth!
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar, save ½ cup (125 mL) for rolling and dusting
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups (310 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- Optional: add ½ cup (60 mL) of your choice of: M&Ms, crushed candy canes, chopped pecans, or chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven at 350°F (180°C) and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer, cream the softened butter and icing sugar together.
- Add the vanilla extract and continue to mix until well blended.
- Gradually add the flour along with the salt.
- The mixture will be grainy at first. Continue mixing for a few minutes until the ingredients are well incorporated and the dough comes together.
- If using, stir in your additional add-in (i.e., candy or nuts).
- Using a small cookie scoop, place dough balls on the baking sheet (or form dough balls by scooping 1 tbsp of dough and rolling it between your hands).
- Bake in the oven for 10 to12 minutes, or until the bottom edges of the cookies turn slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheets for just a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ½ cup of icing sugar into a small bowl. Roll each cookie in the sugar while they are still warm.
- Place the cookies on a rack to cool completely.
- Serve on a holiday cookie platter and enjoy! Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to five days, or frozen for up to one month.
Makes 26 cookies