Perfect with or without creamy frosting, these little cupcakes are the perfect springtime treat! If you don’t add frosting, do they become muffins? Either way, they’re delicious!
For the cupcakes:
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup (180 mL) sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) canola oil
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 mL) buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) grated carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
For the cream cheese frosting:
- ½ cup (125 mL) cream cheese
- ¼ cup (60 mL) butter
- 2 cups + (500 mL) icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease mini muffin pans (enough to make 36) or use mini paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl and using a whisk, beat eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and buttermilk together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and salt.
- Slowly add about 1 cup of the flour mixture to the sugar mixture; mix until well combined.
- Add the grated carrots to the remaining flour mixture; toss to combine. Stir into batter until combined.
- Divide the batter among the greased or paper-lined muffin pans (about 1 tbsp of batter for each cup).
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, and vanilla extract together using a hand-held mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cupcakes, serve, and enjoy!
Note: The cupcakes will keep for up to three days in an airtight container on the counter, or up to five days in the refrigerator.
Yield: 36 mini cupcakes
- View all programs at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum