This Canadian-themed dough has a maple scent — in honour of our national symbol! Create a farm scene complete with playdough animals.
- Large bowl
- Spoon or spatula for mixing
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup salt
- 1 tbsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½-¾ cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp maple flavouring (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Animal cookie cutters
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, and cream of tartar. Add oil.
- Ask an adult to help pour in ½ cup boiling water, then mix thoroughly. If it still seems too dry, add remaining ¼ water.
- Add maple and vanilla flavouring and mix well.
- Turn dough out onto the counter and knead until it forms a nice, stretchy ball. If the dough is too sticky, add small amounts of flour until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Now for the fun part! Roll out your dough and use cookie cutters to make all kinds of farm animals. If you don’t have cookie cutters, use your hands to shape your own animals.
- If you want to keep your animals, you can bake them. Preheat the oven to 200°F (93°C) and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Baking time will vary, depending on how thick your playdough creations are. Make sure to check them every 10 minutes to see if they are hardening.
- Store any leftover playdough in a sealed plastic container for up to five months.
Make a farm yard for your animals out of an old box! Be creative — using any materials you might have around the house — to create a barn or crops, such as corn or wheat. Alternatively, you can draw a barnyard picture and pose your animals in front of it, to make a scene.