Warm up on chilly, winter days with this velvety mint hot chocolate!
- 4 cups (1L) whole or 2% milk*
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cocoa powder
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) peppermint extract
- Pinch of salt
Optional: whipped cream, mini marshmallows, a few mint leaves, crushed candy cane, and chocolate shavings for garnish.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, cocoa powder, and peppermint extract. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add the chopped semi-sweet chocolate. Stir until fully blended and melted.
- Add a dash of salt.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, whisking constantly for two minutes.
- Once fully blended and smooth, remove from heat.
- Pour the mint hot chocolate into your favourite mug, then garnish with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Note: The hot chocolate can also be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it. It can be reheated on the stove top, the microwave, or kept warm in a slow cooker.
*For an even creamier version, substitute half of the milk with table cream.
Yield: 4 servings