If you are an eggnog lover than these cookies are for you! They are tender and moist with a spiced eggnog glaze.
For the cookies:
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup (180 ml) butter, softened
- ½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125 ml) eggnog
For the glaze:
- 2 cups (500 ml) icing sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) eggnog
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a whisk or an electric mixer, beat the butter with the granulated sugar and the brown sugar until smooth. Then add the egg, and beat well into the mixture. Mix in the vanilla extract and the eggnog. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Drop the dough by level tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are slightly golden around the edges. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the glaze. Combine the icing sugar, cinnamon and eggnog in a large bowl. Pour the glaze in a pipping bag or use a spoon and drizzle over the cooled cookies. Let the cookies sit on the wire cooling rack until the glaze is set.
Makes 30 cookies
Canada Agriculture and Food Museum
At Your School