- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cloves
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) salt
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) melted butter or margarine
- ½ cup (125 mL) cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsulphured molasses
- ¾ tbsp (12 mL) vanilla extract
- 4 cups (1 L) unbleached flour, unsifted
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
Mix together the sugar, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
Combine the melted butter, cream, molasses, and vanilla.
Pour this into the first mix.
Next, add the flour 1 cup at a time.
The dough should be stiff enough to handle without it sticking to your fingers.
Knead the dough for a smoother texture.
Add additional flour if needed to prevent sticking.
When the dough is smooth, roll it out to ¼ inch thickness on a floured surface and cut it into cookies then twist into knots if desired.
Bake them on greased cookie sheet for about 6 to 10 minutes.
Err on the side of underdone and let them cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before taking them off.
The cookies are done if they spring back when touched.
Adapted from Let’s Burn Something: Washington Co. Regiment’s Premier Cooksite