- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) ground ginger
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
- ¾ cup (180 ml) molasses
- ¾ cup (180 ml) milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125 ml) butter
- 2 cups (500 ml) icing sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Coat a 9 inch spring form pan with butter and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves; set aside.
In a small bowl, mix the molasses and milk until well blended. Set aside.
In a large bowl or in a stand mixer, beat the butter and the brown sugar until smooth.
Then add the egg and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
Pour dry ingredients over the butter mixture alternating with the milk and molasses mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mixing just until incorporated.
Pour the batter evenly into the spring form pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
Remove from oven and let the cake cool before icing.
To make the icing, combine the butter, icing sugar, and maple syrup in a small bowl and beat until the icing is smooth and creamy.
Spread the icing over the cake.
Cut and serve.
Yield: One cake