Bring the taste of Spain to your kitchen with this fresh-from-the-garden cold soup. It’s perfect for a hot summer day!
- 2 cups (500 mL) ripe tomatoes, halved (cocktail, grape, cherry, or roma)
- 1 large pepper, diced and cored (green, red, yellow, or orange)
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 slice of bread or a small piece of day-old baguette
- Croutons, fresh basil, and cut red pepper for garnish (optional)
- In a blender, combine the diced tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, onion, garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Blend the ingredients, starting on low speed and increasing the speed to high for about two minutes, or until the mixture is smooth.
- Break the piece of bread or baguette into pieces, then add to the blender.
- Purée until smooth.
- For a richer flavour, chill the soup in the fridge for at least one hour before serving.
- When ready, ladle the soup into four small bowls and garnish as desired. Enjoy!
Canada Agriculture and Food Museum
- View all programs at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum