Flavourful cranberries with a hint of cinnamon make these bars a true crowd pleaser!
- 2 cups (500 ml) old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose white flour (or 1 cup all-purpose white flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) cold butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) whole berry cranberry sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Butter and line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper letting it hang over two sides.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Use your fingers to rub in the butter until everything is moistened.
- Spoon three-quarters of the oat mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Press down firmly forming an even layer.
- Spread the cranberry sauce over top forming an even layer.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the bar is golden on top.
- Let cool in the baking dish.
- Lift the parchment paper to remove the bar.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Canada Agriculture and Food Museum