This autumnal classic is bursting with fall flavour! With a crisp oat topping with a gently spiced apple filling, it’s a decadent treat best served with ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
For the filling:
- 6 to 7 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
For the topping:
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) large flake oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, cold and diced
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9.5 in (24 cm) round or square pie plate with cooking spray.
- Prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, cornstarch, and honey. Stir to combine, then transfer to the pie plate.
- Prepare the topping. In a large bowl, mix the large flake oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, and cold butter.
- Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the oat topping evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is slightly golden and the fruit is bubbling.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with a scoop of ice cream (if desired).
Note: The crisp will keep in an airtight container, stored in the refrigerator, for up to three days.