Enjoy this fresh, rainbow-coloured salad as a healthy snack or side dish.
For the salad:
- 4 to 5 “rainbow” coloured carrots
- Half of a cucumber
- About a quarter of a small, red onion
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil (light taste)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) garlic powder
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Wash and peel your carrots.
- Cut carrots in half, then use a julienne peeler to slice them.
- Add the carrots to a medium-sized bowl.
- Wash the cucumbers, thinly slice them, then add them to the bowl.
- Thinly slice the red onion and place in the salad bowl.
- Toss to combine.
- To make the vinaigrette, add all of the ingredients to a small mason jar. Tighten the lid, then shake until fully blended.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the carrot salad and stir until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately, or chill before serving to allow the flavours to blend together.
Note: The salad will keep well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Did you know…
What does it mean to julienne a vegetable? It simply means to cut your vegetables in short, thin strips. A julienne peeler is a time-saving kitchen tool!
- View all programs at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum