Get into the holiday spirit with this delicious, peppermint-chocolate treat!
- ¾ cup (175 mL) butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) peppermint extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) crushed candy canes*
- ½ cup (125 mL) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla and peppermint extract. Beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture; stir until just combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to drop the dough onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops of the dough with crushed candy cane bits.
- Bake in the oven for nine to 10 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Melt the chocolate chips carefully in the microwave, then drizzle over the cookies using a spoon.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
*Please note: To crush the candy canes, seal them in a freezer Ziploc bag. Crush them using a rolling pin.
Egg safety tips
- While eggs are usually clean when laid, they can sometimes be contaminated with Salmonella or other bacteria that can cause food poisoning.
- Choose only refrigerated eggs with clean, uncracked shells.
- Pick up eggs and other cold foods at the end of your grocery shopping trip so they stay cold.
- Don’t crack the shell of an egg until you’re ready to use it.
- Use warm water and soap to thoroughly wash all utensils, countertops, and cutting boards after handling raw eggs.
Source: Health Canada