This creamy, satisfying soup is the perfect antidote to a cold day.
- 1 bag (750 g) cubed butternut squash, or one roasted squash
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable broth
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- Dash of salt and pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) 18% table cream or coconut milk
- Toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients except for the cream into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until vegetables are soft, about 25 minutes.
- Using a hand-held immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Stir in the cream or coconut milk and bring to a simmer for a few minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and serve with a piece of crusty bread. Enjoy!
Canada Agriculture and Food Museum