- 6 slices of cooked diced bacon (reserve bacon fat)
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) cake flour (or ¾ cup (225 ml) all-purpose + 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp (7 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 8 tbsp (1 stick, 4 oz) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup (250 ml) shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup (60 ml) minced chives
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
In a large bowl (or food processor), combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
Add the butter to the dry ingredients.
If using a food processor, pulse a few times until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Stir in the bacon, cheddar cheese, and chives.
Add the buttermilk and mix just until combined.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead 2 or 3 times until well blended.
Gently pat the dough out until it’s about ½ - 1 inch thick.
Use the rim of a glass to cut out biscuit shapes.
Place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet.
Brush the tops of the biscuits with reserved bacon fat.
Bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.