- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) brown sugar
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. (1.25 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) butter, cut into bits
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped and peeled apples (Paula Red work well)
- ½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350℉ (180℃). Take out an 8 inch (2 L) square baking pan.
In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or your hands to make a crumb mixture.
In a second bowl, toss together the apples, sugar, flour and cinnamon.
Press two thirds of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the baking pan.
Spread the apple filling evenly over the crumb crust. Use the remaining crumb mixture to cover the apple filling.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until topping is golden.
Let cool on a rack and cut into squares to serve.