Collection Storage Facility
The “W-4” tractor, introduced in 1940, is a standard-tread tractor. Standard-tread tractors have fixed wheelbases and low clearance, and are ideal for pulling and belt work, though not row-crop cultivation. The W-4 came with a power takeoff, and options including an electric starter and running lights. It was manufactured with slight modifications until 1954. McCormick-Deering was a brand of the International Harvester Company (IHC). IHC formed in 1902 with the merger of McCormick Harvesting Machine Company, Deering Harvester Company, and three other smaller manufacturers. IHC began using the McCormick-Deering trademark in 1921. This tractor originally belonged to Ed and Harry Sadler of Carleton Place, Ontario, who used it on their 365-acre dairy and mixed-farm operation. It was later donated to the Museum by Bill and Hazel Minor.
McCormick-Deering “W-4” Tractor