Mellow Mornings are sessions that offer a low-sensory environment, and are designed for visitors who require a calmer or less disruptive setting. This event gives visitors, as well as their family and friends, the opportunity to take full advantage of museum experiences.
During Mellow Mornings:
- There are fewer visitors in the Museum.
- Guide-led demonstrations are carefully chosen to avoid any unexpected sensory triggers.
We know that a museum visit can be a stressful experience for young visitors with sensory sensitivities, and their families. The following free downloadable guides may help you prepare for a visit:
- Sensory Guide – Information for Visitors’ Sensory Needs (PDF)
- ZOOOM! A Sensory Guide (PDF)
- General Museum Visit – A Social Story for Families (PDF)
Regular admission fees apply (see admission fees here). The Access 2 card is also accepted.
Dates for upcoming Mellow Mornings:
- Sunday, January 14, 2024
- Sunday, February 11, 2024
- Sunday, April 14, 2024
- Sunday, May 5, 2024
Visitors may also borrow one of the following items at the front desk:
- Noise-cancelling headphones
- Paper copies of the sensory guides
- Strollers (for children ages 2–4)
A number of headphones for children and adults are available at the front desk. However, if you have them, we recommend bringing your own.
Yes, of course. We enjoy welcoming all children to the museum. Exploratek, a space featuring hands-on activities will also be available to visitors.
No, they will remain on. However, you can find details about the stimuli exhibited — such as sound, light and motion — in the sensory guide available online and at admission.
No, The Collective opens at 10:00 a.m. You may bring your own snacks and enjoy them in the rest area set aside for this purpose. This space features tables and chairs, as well as couches arranged in small groupings.
Yes, of course. However, please remember that normal daily activities will resume, and the number of visitors can grow considerably.