Students will learn about:
- Heat transfer: conduction, convection and radiation.
- The importance of energy conservation.
- The impact of the spatial resolution of remote sensing devices on the data collected.
- How to make an anaglyph by hand and digitally and the use of anaglyphs to help interpret satellite images.
This bilingual edukit was created in collaboration with the Canadian Space Agency and will expose students to the importance of satellites in our daily lives and some of Canada’s contributions to Earth observation from space. It consists of 4 modules:
- Remote Sensing – what is remote sensing and what is Canada’s involvement in space-based Earth observation.
- Heat Transfer – What is thermal remote sensing and how is it used in satellites. Students conduct experiments related to heat transfer and then discover how improvements to your home can aid in energy conservation.
- Pixel This – Students will conduct an experiment to help them discover how the spatial resolution of remote sensing devices is important when trying to detect wildfires or animal populations from space.
- Anaglyphs – Students will learn how to make anaglyphs by hand and digitally. They will also see how this technology can allow the public to more easily interpret satellite imagery.
- IPads (8) – preloaded with apps and high-resolution images
- Thermal cameras (8)
- Thermal testing material: metal, wood and plexiglass pieces, mini-heaters, kettle, heat resistant glass jars.
- Stereoscopic glasses
Additional Information and Learning Aids
- Extensive manual for teachers, including background material, templates and lesson plans for activities
- Packing guide
The edukit will be shipped to your school in a sturdy case on wheels
Grade 4: Light
Grade 5: Weather
Grade 6: Earth and Space Science
Grade 7: Heat
Grade 8: Optics
- Measurement – temperature, elapsed time, distances, row and column array to measure the area of a rectangle
- Data collection and organization
- People and Environments: Canada’s Interactions with Global community
- Natural Resources Around the World: Use and Sustainability
- Global Settlement: Patterns and Sustainability