Collection Storage Facility
Ontario Hydro acquired this artifact for its Museum of Electrical Progress in the late 1960s, transferring it to the national collection in 1992.
This 250-watt bulb had a lifespan of 1,000 hours, and used pure argon and mercury to produce light.
Installed in Canada from about 1934, mercury bulbs became very popular after the Second World War, when highway construction and an increase in automobile traffic called for more street lighting. Mercury bulbs had a long life, cost less to produce, and were easier to maintain than incandescent light bulbs.