Mellow Mornings are scheduled sessions created to provide a low-sensory environment for young visitors with various disabilities. These events offer a calmer environment, allowing youngsters to take full advantage of various Museum experiences.
During Mellow Mornings:
- There are fewer visitors in the Museum.
- Visual and sound-based stimuli in the exhibitions are either turned down or turned off.
- Hands-on activities and demonstrations have been carefully developed to avoid any unexpected sensory triggers.
We know that a museum visit can be a stressful experience for young visitors with sensory sensitivities, and their families. The following free downloadable guides may help you prepare for a visit:
- Sensory Guide – Information for Visitors’ Sensory Needs (PDF)
- ZOOOM! A Sensory Guide (PDF)
- General Museum Visit – A Social Story for Families (PDF)
Our sincere thanks to our partner organization, the Conseil des écoles publiques de l’Est de l’Ontario (CEPEO) (website in French only), for making this initiative possible.
Given that the number of visitors is limited between 8:30 and 10:00 a.m., reserve your tickets online.
Pass Holders and Access 2 Card
If you have a pass for a free museum visit, please check in at the museum’s front desk.
Regular admission fees will apply (see admission fees here).
Dates for upcoming Mellow Mornings:
- Sunday, January 29, 2023
- Sunday, February 26, 2023
- Sunday, April 23, 2023
Visitors may also borrow one of the following items at the front desk:
- Noise-cancelling headphones
- Paper copies of sensory guides
- Strollers (for children ages 2–4)
The number of headphones available at the front desk is limited. We recommend that you bring your own, if you have them.
Yes, of course. We enjoy welcoming all children to the Museum, no matter their needs. A room featuring hands-on activities will also be available to young visitors.
No, several will remain on. However, supplementary notices indicating the presence of unexpected stimuli — such as sound, light and motion — will be posted in front of the experience.
No, The Collective opens at 11:00 a.m. You may bring your own snacks and enjoy them in the rest area set aside for this purpose. The space features tables and chairs, as well as couches arranged in small groupings.
Yes, of course. However, please remember that special activities will have ended, all interactive experiences will be fully operational, and the number of visitors will likely grow considerably.