- Approx. 2 kg (4 lbs) carrots, peeled and cut into even-sized, 4-inch (10 cm) long sticks 6 dill sprigs or 8 ml (2 tablespoon) dill seed
- 18 peppercorns
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) mustard seeds
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and thickly sliced
- 875 ml (3 2 cups) white or cider vinegar
- 625 ml (2 2 cups) water
- 85 ml (1/3 cup) honey, or 125 ml (2 cup) sugar
Stand the cut carrots upright in 6 hot, sterilized pint (500 ml) canning jars.
Add a sprig of dill or a pinch of dill seed to each jar.
Divide the peppercorns, mustard seeds and garlic; sprinkle equal amounts in each jar.
Boil together the vinegar, water and honey or sugar until the sugar dissolves.
Pour the hot liquid over the carrots, covering them completely.
Cap jars with pre-treated lids.
Adjust lids and process.
The jars can now be cooled and refrigerated for up to a month.
For longer storage, place the jars in boiling water to cover by 1 inch and boil them for 15 minutes.
Transfer the jars with tongs to a rack to cool.
These jars can now be kept for up to year.
Yield: 6 pint (500 ml) jars