- ½ cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups (500 ml) all purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 ml) cocoa powder
- 1¼ tsp (6 ml) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) of salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
- Container of vanilla, chocolate or strawberry ice cream
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease a whoopie pan.
In a large mixing bowl beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
Add the egg and beat until smooth.
In a separate bowl; mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
Add buttermilk to the mix and stir until combined.
Drop onto the baking sheet using a small ice-cream scoop.
Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until firm to the touch.
Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
Spread a dollop of the ice cream between 2 whoopie cookies and enjoy.
Makes 12 whoopies or 24 mini whoopies.