- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp (7 ml) sugar
- ¼ tsp (1ml) baking soda
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 8 tbsp (1 stick, 4 oz) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
- 8 slices of cooked bacon
- ½ cup (125 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 cup (250 ml) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped onion
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried basil
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Lightly grease a mini muffin pan.
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients or use a food processor.
Add the butter to the dry ingredients.
If using a food processor, pulse a few times until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the buttermilk and mix just until combined.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead 2 or 3 times until well blended.
Gently pat the dough out until it’s about ½ inch thick.
Use a small glass rim to cut the dough into rounds.
Place each round into prepared mini muffin pan.
Crumble bacon into a medium mixing bowl; add chopped tomato, onion, cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and basil. Mix well and fill each round with the bacon mixture.
Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.