About the Ingenium Digital Innovation Lab
What is the Ingenium Digital Innovation Lab?
The Digital Innovation Lab is a collaborative hub for exploring innovative ways to improve access to museums spaces, collections, and experiences for all Canadians. Working with academia, start-ups, visitor-serving industries, and the accessibility community, the Lab explores emerging technologies, user experience and accessible design to create more inclusive experiences for everyone.
What we offer
Unique in Canada, the Digital Innovation Lab connects national and international collaborators with Ingenium’s user experience (UX), interpretive, and digital experts.
We have the skills, experience, space, equipment, networks, and audiences to collaborate or provide customary services to help design, enhance, test, and deploy your digital product against the highest standards in digital accessibility.
We also look to partner with organizations that seek to develop products that are community-based and inclusive, and to help advance the development of digital accessibility standards and practices for everyone’s benefit.
Access to space and technology: The Lab features innovative spaces, AV suites, and access to Canada’s one-of-a-kind collection of 3D artifacts, along with one-of a kind scanner in Canada that can quickly digitize large objects and spaces at a high level of fidelity and speed.
Access to digital expertise: The Lab offers various collaborative opportunities and specialized workshops in digital accessibility, 3D scanning and rendering, UX, and digital museum practices.
Access to audiences: The Lab can connect you with a wide variety of audiences for user testing your digital products.
Accessibility features in the lab
- Sennheiser MobileConnect allows audio to be accessed via a smartphone app in which headphones and hearing aids can be synced via Bluetooth, allowing users access to live presentation audio which they can adjust to their needs
- Whiteboard tables that flip up to allow for someone in a wheelchair to use them, comfortably
- A touchscreen that can be adjusted up or down to the height of the user, including someone in a wheelchair
- Moveable furniture to accommodate different projects/set ups
Some of the High and Low Tech We Explore
- 3D modeling and printing
- Games and game engines
- Virtual and augmented reality
- Data visualization
- Accessible and inclusive design
- Creative storytelling
- Rapid prototyping and testing
The Lab’s 10 Guiding Principles
GROWING OUR NETWORKS
WORKING OPEN, SHARING RESULTS
ACCESSIBLE AND INCLUSIVE
COLLABORATION AND CO-CREATION
RESPONSIVE, AGILE, AND TESTING OFTEN
ENGAGING THE PUBLIC
EXPLORING EMERGING TECHNOLOGY
FAILURE WITH PURPOSE
Let's work together!
Services offered include:
- Workshops and Webinars
- 3D scanning and rendering
- Space and equipment rentals (AV, coworking, etc.)
- Digital accessibility audits & user testing
- Event rentals
- Consultation services
Learn more about our services and offerings (PDFs):
The Ingenium Innovation Challenge
The Digital Innovation Lab serves as the host space for the Ingenium Innovation Challenge. With a wide array of associated programming ranging from panel discussions, 1:1 mentorship, and specialized workshops, our unique working space welcomed students from across the STEAMB fields in their journey to build a digital product that inspires and educates Canadian youth to tackle key issues of our time.