- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) wheat germ
- ¼ cup (60 ml) wheat bran
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 cups (500 ml) grated carrots
- 1 can (approx. 400 ml) sliced beets, drained and mashed
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) raisins
- 1 cup (250 ml) shredded dried coconut
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) oil (canola or sunflower)
- 5 eggs, beaten
Mix together the flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, wheat bran, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
In another bowl, stir together the oil, eggs, carrots, beets, raisins, and coconut. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until well incorporated.
Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish and bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for about an hour or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.